On July 26th, 1908, Bishop Henry Joseph Richter dedicated Holy Name of Jesus Church on property donated by Mrs. Donna DeBoer. Father Thomas Reid was named its first pastor. The parish began with a total of 59 parishioners.
The first church building served as church, school and convent. However because of the growth of the parish, Father James Flannery found it necessary to build a larger temporary church. Much of the work on this building was done by parishioners who volunteered their time and labor.
Fr. Oswald T. McGinn was pastor from 1917 until 1932. He was famous for his wild game hunting and sharp shooting and his annual wild game (moose) dinners.
In 1960 the present church was built and consecrated. The priests who led this successful effort were Fathers Joseph Delehanty and Louis Vanbergen. The current school building was constructed in 1963.
The people of Holy Name of Jesus parish opened their hearts and parish to the Vietnamese community of Our Lady of La Vang in 1987 until they founded their own parish in 1998.
In 2002 Fr. Donald Weber, with the strong support of parishioners, renovated the church, updating its liturgical environment, electrical system and adding air conditioning.
In response to the arrival of many new immigrants Fr. Stephen Dudek and Deacon Carlos Gutierrez came to the parish in 2003. Ministry to the Spanish speaking began in 2004. Soon, two Spanish Masses were needed to accommodate this fast growing community each Sunday.
Holy Name of Jesus School, after more than a hundred years of providing a faith filled and academically superior education to thousands of students, became San Juan Diego Academy in 2011. Enrollment steadily increased and now stands at 185 students.
Currently, a culturally diverse community of 600 families call Holy Name of Jesus home, with an average Sunday attendance of nearly a thousand people each week.